free counters

World Clock (click on the country for local time)

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Rodney Tuddenham shot dead his Maltese-born wife of 10 years, Marina-Louise

ECGMA says: Rod, as I knew him and Marina, as I knew her too, both were friends and ex-colleagues of mine when I was with Allianz and QBE, respectively. I was truly shocked when I was informed by another ex-colleague of mine, Cliffy.
I am speechless and saddened two lovely souls have left us in such circumstances. Rest In Peace my dear friends. You are still together now as you were on earth as it is in heaven.

He loved his wife to death - Rodney Tuddenham's despair ends with two bullets

Clementine Cuneo
From: The Daily Telegraph
August 02, 2011

Tragic ... police remove a body from the scene.

Pic: Damian Shaw
Source: The Daily Telegraph

WITH his ill wife asleep in bed, a troubled Rodney Tuddenham wrote a letter explaining why he was about to do the unthinkable.

He placed the "act of love" letter on the kitchen table where it would be easily found, then walked into the bedroom and shot dead his Maltese-born wife of 10 years, Marina-Louise.

Police said Mr Tuddenham then covered his wife's bloodied body with the bed sheets before he made a distressed call to Triple-0 telling them what he had done.

As officers rushed to the Hornsby house at 1am yesterday, Mr Tuddenham turned the gun on himself.

The couple's cat, which friends said was like a "child" to them, was found dead beside Mr Tuddenham's body in the backyard, also with a bullet wound.

Murder-suicide: A suburban tragedy

Man shot dead wife, then killed himself
The Daily Telegraph, 1 day ago

Man shot wife, turned gun on himself The Daily Telegraph, 1 day ago

Telegraph, 2 Jul 2011
Victim's family wonders what happened Courier Mail, 1 Jul 2011
Stingrays fold tent in final quarter Herald Sun, 28 Jun 2011

Police yesterday described the murder-suicide in the quiet upper north shore suburb as a "tragic situation".

Police confirmed a man made the call, saying he had killed his wife, but Superintendent Michael Kenny would not elaborate.

Friends of Mr and Mrs Tuddenham, who were both aged in their 50s, said they were a loving couple who lived for each other.

They loved the outdoors, nature and camping but their happy union had been rocked when Mrs Tuddenham was diagnosed with a terminal illness some years ago, believed to be cancer.

"They struggled knowing she was sick," a friend, who asked not to be named, said.

The friend said Mr Tuddenham was not aggressive and police confirmed there was no history of domestic violence.

"There's no way he would have hurt her intentionally ... he loved her," the friend said.

Ronnie Ali, who worked with Mrs Tuddenham at QBE Insurance, where she was an analyst, spoke with her on Saturday night.

"She was happy, she didn't say there was any problem ... I know she was going into hospital in a few weeks for surgery, but she was OK about that," he said.

Police last night removed a number of firearms from the Rosemead Rd house, one of them the murder weapon.

Mr Ali said Mrs Tuddenham was a keen target shooter, and kept registered firearms in the house.

The couple did not have any children together but Mr Tuddenham is believed to have a son from a previous marriage, and police had been in contact with him.

At Kuring-gai Creative Arts High School, where Mr Tuddenham was employed as a technical support officer, colleagues described the incident as "heartbreaking".

Neighbours next door to the couple's house said they did not hear any arguing early that morning.

A report is being prepared for the Coroner and a post mortem is expected on both bodies today.


Rodney Tuddenham shot dead his wife Marina-Louise and called police before shooting himself at Hornsby home in Sydney

Rodney Tuddenham shot dead his wife Marina-Louise and called police before shooting himself at Hornsby home in Sydney

Clementine Cuneo, Vincent Morello, Miles Godfrey From: The Daily Telegraph, AAP August 01, 2011

Suburban tragedy ... Rodney (pictured) and Marina-Louise Tuddenham were found dead with gunshot wounds at their home at Hornsby on Sydney's north shore.

Main Picture: John Grainger Source: The Daily Telegraph

The bodies of Rodney and Marina-Louise Tuddenham, both aged in their mid-50s, were found at their Rosemead Rd home at Hornsby, on Sydney's upper north shore, about 1am today.

NSW Police Detective Inspector Mick Banfield said police would review telephone records but believe the man they found was the caller.

"More than likely, he's murdered her, then turned the gun on himself,'' Det Insp Banfield said.

He said officers were "pretty quick'' to respond, and neighbours later told police they had heard gunshots.

Hornsby Police local area commander Superintendent Michael Kenny said a woman's body was found in a bedroom and police located the man's body in the backyard.

"We do know that in relation to the deceased that a firearm was used and we believe that was the cause of both people's death,'' Supt Kenny said.

Police established a crime scene and determined that both victims suffered a single gunshot, he said.

Supt Kenny would not rule out an assisted suicide or murder-suicide and would not comment on media reports the woman had a terminal illness.

The couple was not known to police and there was no record of domestic disturbances at the home.

No note was left at the scene, but two people who appeared to know the couple arrived at the house this afternoon and were later driven away in police vehicles.

After alighting from a taxi, a woman put her hand over her mouth and bent over with an expression of shock and sorrow, witnesses told AAP.

A man later walked up and was spoken to by police. Later, one officer outside the house was heard talking about a "brother'' arriving on the scene.

Mr Tuddenham worked as a technical support officer at Ku-ring-gai Creative Arts High School, in nearby North Turramurra.

On an internet networking website he described his work as providing "day-to-day support to students and staff for laptops and wireless infrastructure provided by the Digital Education Revolution''.

School principal Terri-Anne Kamasz declined to speak about the incident.

A spokeswoman for the NSW Department of Education said comment was limited as the police investigation was ongoing.

"The sympathies of Ku-ring-gai High School are with the family and friends of the couple involved in this tragic event,'' the spokeswoman said.

"Counselling is being offered to students and staff from the school.''

A spokeswoman for insurance firm QBE, where Marina-Louise worked as an analyst, said it was difficult to respond because today is a bank holiday.

Mr Tuddenham's Facebook page mentions his son Zach Tuddenham, who states that he lives in Brisbane and is at university.

Police have spoken to neighbours but are still seeking information from anyone who may have witnessed anything related to the incident.

"Anybody with any information in relation to the history of the couple ... anybody that heard anything around 1am this morning, anybody that saw anything around 1am this morning, we would ask that they come forward,'' Supt Kenny said.

No comments: